Just because I can, I thought I would list my top ten favourite books. They are not in any particular order and such lists are always subject to change as new gems are discovered and devoured. Whilst individual taste and preferences for particular styles will always be an influence whenever somebody puts together a list like this, I am of the belief that a good book is a good book regardless of genre, style, author, setting, subject matter or when it was written.
1. American Psycho – Bret Easton Ellis
2. L. A. Confidential – James Ellroy
3. The Corrections – Jonathan Frantzen
4. Bonfire of the Vanities – Tom Wolfe
5. Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts
6. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
7. Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy O’Toole
8. Girl With the Dragon Tattoo – Stieg Larson
9. Norwegian Wood – Haruki Murakami
10. Let the Right One In – John Ajvide Lindqvist
It was very difficult to create a definitive list of ten because there are so many great books. I have only just touched the surface with this list, but all the books listed are fantastic and anybody who hasn’t read them yet should do so immediately to restore their cultural credibility.
Whilst this list is a personal opinion only, my superior intellect and infinite wisdom makes it hard for anybody to refute any of these choices. However, I welcome the deluded ramblings of those who beg to differ, so please feel free to comment and/or offer your own suggestions.